Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Paranormal vs normal



Paranormal books seem to be a lasting trend in Young Adult fiction right now. I've lost count of how many vampire, zombie, angel type books are out there. It's all I can see on the shelves at the book stores. I do wonder how long this train will keep running and what is coming next. 

While I'm the first to admit I loved the Twilight books, that was probably the first paranormal books I'd enjoyed. But that was because they were heavily romantic. 

I do miss 'normal' books. You know; guy meets girl, they fall in love, have some adventures and everything ends happily. 

As a reader, I'm tired of paranormal and as a writer I don't think I have the skills to write paranormal, so what does that mean for me? I guess I keep writing and hope I hit the right trend one day. And keep reading to find normal books amongst the sci-fi. 

What do you prefer to read? 
And just for fun, what is the next trend going to be? Predictions anyone??? 

2 comments:

  1. Great post :)

    I like both, but I know what you mean. Paranormal does seem to have a strong lead. I think it's the magical element that is such a pull, but I'm not really sure.

    For me - as long as it has romance and strong relational stuff in it, I don't mind what genre it's in.

    I have NO idea what the next trend will be, but I'd love to see what other people think :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's still a market for a love story set in the real world. There's a market in YA romance that is really broad.

    ReplyDelete