Monday, January 16, 2012

Book & Movie Review - Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer

Breaking Dawn (the book) ~ Stephanie Meyer (spoilers) 

I read a few (bad) reviews before I started on this... I guess some people think, that because these books have been made into movies they should be fault free? I don't expect perfection from a book, I just want an enjoyable tale, some romance and a story to get lost in for a while. To me Breaking Dawn delivered. Sure there is a lot of corn factor, but I love a bit of corn. 

I spent the first half of the book, thoroughly excited and reading as fast as I could to get to when Bella would become a vampire. It was fun to read through the 'I' POV what being a vampire was like. 

The end (although happy and quite corny) was perfect. I loved it. I loved Bella's special vampire powers and I loved the romance. The only part that I didn't entirely gel with was the pregnancy and having Reneesme, that was a little odd but not a deal breaker. 

I'd give this book a 3.5 out of 5 stars and recommend it for anyone who likes a romance with a twist but isn't as concerned about how good the writing is. 


Breaking Dawn (the movie - part 1) ~ Stephanie Meyer (spoilers) 

Wow, what girl doesn't love a good wedding and honeymoon sequence. It is pretty hilarious though, how Bella tries to entice her husband into bed on their honeymoon in what is the most unique situation in fiction! 

Half way through the movie, it changes to a very gory portrayal of a human/vampire pregnancy. With the added factor of werewolves planning to kill the baby/creature that is inside Bella. Although I didn't love watching Bella get skinnier and frail (amazing graphics though) the movie didn't hover too long on this and quickly moved to the birth and ended awesomely with Bella opening her bright red eyes. 




Book versus Movie 

I think the movie definitely captured the essence of the book with the added bonus of computer effects! Books always contain more detail but I feel the movie did a really great job of showing enough detail to make the story make sense. I loved the movie (part 1) and can't wait to see how they portray Bella the vampire and her 'super powers'! 


What did you guys think of the movie compared to the book?

xx
ZG


1 comment:

  1. I thought the whole pregnancy thing was a little strange in the book as well but I still loved it. The movie was good but I still loved the book more. It's just because books always give you so much more and if they attempted that with a movie it would be five hours long. Great review!

    ReplyDelete